Tuesday 12 January 2016

Our Father in Heaven pt.2

Adopted child

"But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under law (us), that we might receive the full rights of sons. Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, 'Abba, Father.'"
Galatians 4.4-6

The fact that we can pray 'Our Father' is phenomenal. It is only possible because Jesus came to earth, died for us and then rose triumphant. His death meant that you and I can be adopted into God's family. When we pray 'Father', it is worth dwelling on what it cost Jesus to win us the right to use it to talk to God. It was not cheap.

"Loving Father, thank you for my big brother Jesus. Thank you Jesus, that you died so that I might call your Father, my Father. Thank you that you took the full crushing weight of my sin; the rejection of your Father that I deserved. Thank you that because of you I belong to your family, that though others might make me feel rubbish, though my own thoughts might tell me that I am hopeless - the truth is that I belong to your family, I am the chosen and adopted child of your family. I thank you that I can now enter into your Father's throne room in prayer, though I cannot see it. I can walk up to the throne of the Living God, who rules in majesty and I can now say to him 'Abba, Father, Dad'"


No comments:

Post a Comment