Thursday 14 January 2016

Our Father in Heaven Pt. 4

A great helper

"The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. 
And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father.'...
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God's people in accordance with the will of God"
Romans 8.15,26,-27

There is a danger with the Lord's prayer, that it can fell a bit like a manual that Jesus has given us - and now it is up to us. As a result, it can go the way of most suggestions of how we could do prayer. It first leads to new hope of a turn around in our prayer, then it leads to enthusiasm and excitement as it actually seems to work, finally it ends in disillusionment as our prayer returns to its default position of 'a bit rubbish'

The Lord's prayer isn't like that, and that is all wrapped up in that word 'Abba, Father'. As we read through the whole New Testament, we discover that the fact that we can call God Abba, is not just because we been given permission to do so, but also the ability to do so. The fact that I can pray "Father" and it be more than merely words, but actually the expression of a real relationship is because my heavenly Father has given me his Spirit.

Paul talks about this in Romans 8.15 and then goes on to explain the amazing implications in vv.26-27. When I pray two things can be true. On the one hand my prayers can appear a bit rubbish - halting, not very impressive, unable to put into words what I want to say and obsessed with my own agenda. That is because I am often halting, not very impressive, not very good at expressing myself and obsessed with my own agenda. But on the other hand my prays are eloquent beyond words and focused on what is on God's heart, because his Spirit is praying within me. So whilst I will often feel that my prayers vary between not very good and even worse - the reality is that I am involved in a consistently wonderful communication between the Spirit and the Father. That is quite some encouragement.

"Holy Spirit, thank you that you are within me, speaking to the Father through me, enabling me to say, 'Abba'. Praying in accordance with the Father's will even when I am not sure what to pray for, assuring me that I really am his precious child. Spirit, I am not going to get everything in this prayer right, but please pray with me now. 
Abba in heaven, thank you that you have chosen and adopted me as your child. Thank you that..."

No comments:

Post a Comment